Essay Writing in English: Do you know that the word ‘essay’ is derived from a Latin word ‘exagium’, which roughly refers to one’s case. The essay is therefore a small piece of writing representing one side of the argument or one’s experiences, stories, etc. Essays are very personal. So let’s learn about the types, formats and tips for essay-writing.
Essay writing English: method, type
An essay is usually a piece of writing or story telling about the perspective of writer. Usually, essay is considered same as a story or a paper or an article. Essays could be informal as well as formal. Formal essays are generally academic in nature and deal with serious topics. We will focus on informal essays that are more personal and often have comic elements.
The type of essay will depend on what message the writer wants to convey to his reader. Usually Essay are of 4 Types.
This is when the writer is narrating an event or story through Essay. When writing an essay, the author aims to engage the reader in the narrative as if it is happening to them. So make them as real as possible. One way to make this possible is to show the story to the reader and not read it. Therefore you should involve the reader in the story.
Here the author will describe a place, an object, an event or perhaps a memory. But this is not merely a description of things clearly. The author must draw a picture through his words. A clever way to do this is to stimulate the reader’s senses. Trust not only sight, but also include other senses like smell, touch, sound etc. When a descriptive essay is done well, the reader will feel the feelings that the writer himself felt.
In such an essay a writer presents a balanced study of a subject. To write such an essay, the author must have a real and comprehensive knowledge about the subject. The expository essay has no scope for the author’s feelings or emotions. It is completely based on facts, figures, examples etc.
The purpose of the essay here is to bring the reader to the side of your argument. A persuasive essay is not simply a presentation of facts, but an attempt to explain the writer’s point of view to the reader. Both positive as well as negative argument have to be presented in these essays. But the ultimate aim is to convince the readers that the author’s argument is correct.
Essay on Festivals
- Essay on New Year in English
- Essay on Lohri in English
- Essay on Makar Sakranti
- 10 Lines on Makar Sankranti
- Essay on Republic Day in English
- Essay on Holi Festival in English
- Essay on Besakhi in English
- Essay on Good Friday in English
- Essay on Eid in English
- Essay on Raksha Bandhan in English
- Essay on Teachers day in English
- Essay on Ganesh Chaturthi in English
- Essay on Gandhi Jayanti in English
- गांधी जयंती पर निबंध
- Essay on Navrati in English
- Essay on Durga Puja in English
- Essay on Diwali in English
- दीवाली पर निबंध
- Essay on Dushera in English
- Essay on Chhath Puja in English
- Essay on Bhai Dooj in English
- Essay on Childrens day in English
- Essay on Christmas in English
- हिंदी दिवस पास निबंध
- Essay on Constitution of India
Essay Topics on famous Person
Essay Topics on Health and Lifestyle
Essay Topics on Social Cause
Correct way to write essay in English
Now there is no rigid format of essay. It is a creative process so it should not be confined within limits. However, there is a basic structure that is usually followed when writing essays. So let’s take a look at the general structure of an essay.
This is the first paragraph of your essay. This is where the author introduces his subject for the first time. You can give a very brief summary of your essay in introductory paragraphs. Generally, it is about 4-6 lines.
Paragraph is an important introduction to essays for writers. This ensures that the reader will read or not. Therefore, this place is better for you as creative or as much curiosity among the readers. So to do this you can start with a quote or a saying. Sometimes you can start with a definition. Another interesting strategy to connect with your reader is to start with a question.
Body of essay
This is the main sequence of your essays. So the most important content of the essay will be here. It should not be limited to one paragraph. It may extend to two or more paragraphs according to the content.
Usually, we have a lot of information to provide. And the mistake that writers usually make is that they write anything on the spot in a haphazard manner, which confuses the reader. Make sure you write content in simple and organized form. Write the information in a systematic flow so that readers can understand. The best way to do this would be to go in a chronological order.
This is the last paragraph of the essay. A conclusion is also a great place to understand a story or argument. You can refer a Sikh to it by providing some moral or understanding the story summary.
Essay writing tips in English
- Give your essays an interesting and appropriate title. This will help to capture the reader’s attention and calm their curiosity
- Keep it between 300–500 words. This is the ideal length, you can increase or decrease it when needed
- Keep your language simple and clear. Unnecessarily complex and difficult words break the flow of the sentence.
- Do not make grammar mistakes, use correct punctuation and spelling.
- Organize your idea and draft before starting the essay. In this way you can ensure that the story will be in a flux and not an unorganized mess.